a Ministry of Food and Family...

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

A Brainy Gourmet Week in Review

These past several days I have been cooking dinner every evening for you my readers and my sweetie. Is there anything special about that? No, not really. Its only because, I like to cook and like my own cooking. I think that cooking at home is easy, fun, flavorful and frugal.

Does 'cheap' mean it lacks nutrition? No. It means that a 'brainy' gourmet does not have to spend a lot of money to cook an excellent nutritional meal. I post here a few of the meals I made over the past week. You maybe thinking there are few vegetables. I use vegetables! I like to cook with squash and eggplant as seen in some of the dishes below as well as with peppers, carrots and parsnips. I also use veggies for color and flavor.

The vitamin content even in small amounts is adequate as long as you do not overburden their benefits by eating; processed foods, eating out, eating snack food between meals, drinking cola, sweet teas and fruit juices which contain too much sugar. My meals have protein and carbohydrates which are essential for bodily function. I use a variety of meats and fish (my first dish was tuna steak fresh frozen- sorry I did not make a photo of that, but next time I cook it, I will).

There is nothing wrong with eating pasta, rice and potatoes in moderation, a serving along with a meat entree is a good source of energy... even for the brain which takes up a lot and exercise is vital for a brain/ body. The meats used over the past week were: chicken, pork loin and sausage, ground beef, turkey, and fish.

What about kids/seniors not liking this or that. Before, putting the pieces together on the serving platter, take out individual portions. For instance, put on an individual plate a serving of pasta/rice/potato/ in its 'plain' form which is straight from the pot of water or oven/microwave, then add a side of meat without the sauce/skin on and or visible. In this way, you can serve to those who are more picky or have to be and to everyone else.


No comments:

Post a Comment