a Ministry of Food and Family...

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Old Fashioned Homemade Pumpkin Pie

Old Fashioned Homemade Pumpkin Pie

I use pumpkin from the garden but if you don't have garden fresh then just buy a small one it should cost no more than 2 dollars.
Making pumpkin pie from scratch is time consuming but not difficult. Just this morning, I found a nice round pumpkin about the size of a ball.

I cut into the fleshy small pumpkin harvested back in late September, I love the smell. You will have to dig out the 'guts and seeds' but using a large spoon it goes quick. Get a large pasta pot and fill with water about half way. Put on the stove, use a high flame to get the water boiling.
Cut up the rest of the pumpkin, leaving on the skin. I take it off after cooking, it just peels easier. Once the water is boiling, I just plop the chunks in, turn down the flame and cover. It takes about 25 minutes to get tender chunks.
In the meantime, turn on the oven to F375. Next, I take a pat of coconut oil and cover the bottom of a glass pie plate/dish for baking. Take from the fridge prepared pie crust, using just one as it comes as a package of two. Sorry, I have not yet perfected pie crust but am working on it.

When the pumpkin is done, drain the water and let the pumpkin cool so that you can peel it. Once cool, you can peel the pieces placing the soft pumpkin into a large bowl. With a small pumpkin about this size you will get about 4 cups of pumpkin. Mash down the pumpkin with a potato masher. Add one 1/2 cup of condensed milk, two eggs and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and the same of crushed coriander.  I put in 1/2 cup of organic cane sugar which is enough to sweetin as sugar is not something I eat a lot of, nor should anyone. Stir in, blending all ingredients into a applesauce like texture. For a more smoothy like consistency, I blend it all together using my hand held blender to get a custard like consistency. With the pie crust in place, the oven heated up, I pour in the pumpkin 'custard' and bake (reducing oven temp to F350) for 1 hour. Again, my 1963 Caloric loses heat and so baking/roasting take a bit longer. I just like to keep an eye on things, that's the way I cook and bake.

Pie for dessert! Dinner is still to cook....

No comments:

Post a Comment