a Ministry of Food and Family...

Friday, November 21, 2014

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

Price per serving: $.95 + roll with butter/slice of cheese = $1.10

You won't need to buy anything for this soup. Why? Because, it is based on the chicken stock you cooked a few days ago (refrigerated) for future soups.  All you need to buy or take from your pantry are egg noodles of any kind or if you prefer like I do- long traditional egg noodles, which I happen to have in my pantry. I never pay more than 1.09 for a large bag. I also had saved from the whole chicken, used to cook the stock,  half a breast. Today, I will use that half diced to put into the chicken noodle soup.

Take a small stock pot from your cabinet and fill with water and add a pinch of salt to cook the noodles. While the noodles cook, take out enough stock to use for this soup and heat it up. Remember, I always keep the stock pure - no noodles, no rice and no veggies. All of those food items can be added at any moment or day of the week to make 'soup' of the day using that same chicken stock made back on day one of your week.

Once the noodles are done and the stock warmed up, you are ready to serve. I put the noodles, diced chicken breast and stock into my lovely soup tourine/tureen (seen it spelled both ways), sprinkle with fresh dried parsley flakes and serve.

With such a simple dinner, I like to oven toast some multi-grain rolls and put out fresh butter and a few kinds of sliced cheese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment