a Ministry of Food and Family...

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Sweet Italian Sausage and Shrimp Jambalaya

Saturday night in Louisiana and havin Jambalaya.

 

Price per serving: $2.99

You will need to buy 1 pound of Italian Sausage or whatever sausage you prefer. I used Sweet Italian turkey sausage and paid $2.99 for the Fit&Active brand at Aldi. I like a little fresh shrimp in my jambalaya. Instead of buying a large bag of frozen shrimp that can cost anywhere from 7-15 dollars; I just buy fresh cooked tails. I ask the person at the fish counter if they can weigh out the amount I need based on whatever I think one person would like to eat - 6-12 pieces. For today, I have just six cooked shrimp tails and paid only $1.80.

I also bought a large2 lb. bag of Basmati rice also from Aldi for $1.89; from which I will get at least 8 - 10 meals from.


Take from the pantry list:
Coconut Oil
Olive Oil
Butter
Sea Salt
Red Paprika
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Red Pepper flakes
Dried Herb Seasonings
*rosemary, oregano, mint

Get about 2 cups of water boiling in a med stock pot to cook the rice. I like to use the high heat burner as that gets things really rolling.
While watching for the water to boil, I melt 3 tbs coconut oil and the same of olive oil in my covered skillet and immediately season the oils using the above recommended herbs/seasoning. When this starts to hiss and spit, I take the sausage into my hands and squeeze the sausage out from the casing and into the skillet in the shape or amount you would use to make drop cookies.
Once I have done that, usually getting about 15 ball size drops, I cover and let simmer on low.
The water should be ready to receive the rice. I also add to the water a pinch of salt and dollop of butter, cover and simmer on low. This entire dish takes only 20 25 minutes to cook.
Hold back the shrimp til the sausage balls are cooked. Then place the shrimp on top just to steam/warm up as they are already cooked.
When the rice is done, drain and pour out onto a serving platter (stir into the rice a 1/2 tsp of mild Louisiana hot sauce for a little color). Then take your sausage and shrimps from the skillet and place on top of the rice, pour over any remaining juices from the sausage and shrimp.
Get out your favorite hot sauces and beverage - and whew wee!

No comments:

Post a Comment