a Ministry of Food and Family...

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Spaghetti Alla Annina

In the northern Italian regions, spaghetti is most always served with meat which is often minced, chopped or ground and shaped into meatballs. Sometimes, sauteed vegetables are added to the meat simmering in a shallow liquid stock to enhance flavor. The meats used are varied and may include separately or in mixtures of beef, chicken, pork, duck, goose, lamb, or veal. Then to the meat is added wine, or heavy cream or crushed tomato to make the final spaghetti sauce. If you used fresh tomatoes, they are typically limited in quantity relative to the meat.

For today's spaghetti sauce, I used ground veal which I bought for just under 4 dollars per pound. I like to make meatballs so I take the ground veal and add 1/2 cup of dry bread crumbs, Italian seasonings, sea salt and some garlic powder. I also put in 1/4 cup of heavy cream. After mixing, I form into nice large balls.

Before cooking the meatballs, I saute in olive oil and coconut oil chopped onion and even from time to time some parsnip or red/green pepper until golden brown on all edges. Then I lay in my meatballs, brown on both sides and then add  1/4 cup stock, cover and let simmer for 8 min.




To this, I add crushed tomatoes or if I have a fresh batch out of the garden, I will use fresh, with skin off.




Now, of course, you should be boiling some water in a large stock pot with a few pinches of salt to cook your spaghetti pasta. Once the noodles are tender, drain and top with sauce and grated parmesan. 

Ahhh mama mia so good!
















price per serving for two: $2.50

No comments:

Post a Comment