a Ministry of Food and Family...

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Easy Skillet Tarragon Chicken

Price per serving for two: $ 1.87

You will need to buy one whole chicken and or a package of a cut up fryer. Being brainy, I bought a whole chicken on sale for .95 cents per pound. I paid 3.75 for the whole bird. I bought the whole chicken so I could get a good stock to have for the rest of the week. I just love having chicken stock on hand for other soups and sauces.

Boil your chicken and even cut up pieces in a stock pot of salted water with added chicken bouillon. Add chopped onion and whole baby carrots if you like since they can be easily removed from the stock. You always want a clean savory stock so never put in anything that you can't take out.  Once you have a good stock, remover the chicken and cool it down. When it is cool enough to handle, cut up into traditional pieces, thighs, legs and breasts. Of course, if you bought pieces then you won't have to do this.

In a covered skillet, melt in 4 tbs of olive oil and season your oil with dried herbs, including tarragon. To this I add a dash more of salt (sea salt) along with a generous dash of ground red paprika and some black pepper. Then I lay in my pieces and sear them on all sides, cover for 5 min on low. Now, I add 1/3 cup of heavy cream and cover again for another 10 min on low.

That's it! Add to this any side you like or even a wilted spinach salad
.




No comments:

Post a Comment