a Ministry of Food and Family...

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Chicken and Dumplings ~ All in One

Price per serving for two: $2.43

For this dish I like to use chicken thighs with the skin on and bone in. However, you may prefer boneless and skinless. The skin on makes a better sauce and bone in gives more flavor. A package of six should be enough for the family. If your sweetie is a bit eater then for two with a piece or two left over.

Take from your pantry:
Onioins
Sea Salt
Olive Oil
Coconut Oil
Garlic cloves
Red pepper Flakes
Dried Herb Seasonings
* rosemary, oregano, basil and even mint or thyme

If you want to be quick about the dumplings and you want them light and fluffy, then use your Bisquick mix or even a pancake mix. If I use the pancake mix, I add some additional flour and baking powder. To make the dough, either follow the Bisquick recipe or do as I do... take 1 cups of pancake mix and half cup of flour. To that add buttermilk, slowing stirring until you the a thick sticky consistency. Let that sit off to the side while you prepare the chicken.

As always, I reach for my favorite covered skillet. Melt in 3 tbs of coconut oil and 4 tbs of olive oil. I like to add chopped onion and my seasonings, then stir until I get some transparency in the onion.

Then I lay in my chicken thighs, skin side down first and then turn over for the other side and then back to the skin side. Now, I add some chicken stock about 1/4 cup and cover to simmer for 20 min. on med. occasionally stirring. After, that amount of time passes, add 1/4 cup of heavy cream. Spoon in the dumpling mix and cover. Simmer for 10 min on low. This steams the dumplings, high and mighty as my mom would say.






Take a look and smile! Call everyone round and give thanks!





No comments:

Post a Comment