a Ministry of Food and Family...

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Sunday Night Supper ~ Comfort Foods Interacting

Price per serving for two: $2.76

This Sunday night supper is a combination of left overs and a lean top half of round steak for which I paid $4.27.  Being brainy means being frugal. It is also about knowing what foods are compatible. So, since I had some left over au jus from my Mother-in-laws super yummy short ribs, I thought why not use that and make 'Swiss Steak', round steak simmer in a tomato sauce which thickens as it cooks. To that you make mashed potatoes. I started by sauteing onion in 3 tbs of olive oil. I then added my round steak sliced length wise.

Next, my sweetie helped out by peeling potatoes which were set to boil in 1 tsp of sea salt. I also had left over farfalle from yesterday and that became mac and cheese (just pour heavy cream onto pasta, add a dollop of butter and lay on slices of cheddar - microwave).  In no time, at all, I had a delicious supper of: tender steak (no knife necessary), mashed potatoes, mac and cheese  ~ all comfort food. On the side, I used up the left over cabbage slaw from yesterday.  In fact, this salad is always better the next day.

Take time to give thanks and feel comforted!

"Bless us Oh Lord and these thy gifts"



No comments:

Post a Comment