a Ministry of Food and Family...

Monday, March 2, 2015

Blackened Caribbean Dump Chicken with Braised Ginger Carrots and Green Cabbage

Price per serving for two: $2.85 

You will need to buy a package of chicken thighs with or without skin. I like the ALDi  Kirkwood brand which is always fresh, tender and reasonably price. I had left over dark cherries, crushed pineapple, and dried plums along with left over homemade barbeque sauce. First, I simmered the thighs to get a stock from them for the week. I have said it many times before, keep a chicken stock in the pantry or fridge. I also stuck some carrots and green cabbage in the stock. Once the meat was white, I removed the thighs and laid them into a glass baking dish which was drizzled with olive oil. I also removed the carrots and cabbage transferring them to a glass baking dish.

To the chicken thighs, I dumped in the dark cherries, the crushed pineapple and some dried plums. Over the top, I dumped the left over homemade barbeque sauce (you can also use store bought), and lastly, I sprinkled on some dried herbs. All of this went into a F400 degree oven uncovered for 50 min.

Next, I took fresh ginger and grated some over the carrots and cabbage. To that I drizzled over the top, teriyaki sauce, and organic honey til it blanketed the veggies. You can also lay on some fresh sliced lemon.
Sprinkle on some dried herb seasonings and transfer to the second or lower rack of the oven, covered with foil. Walk away, relax and take in the smells.

In about one hour, you will feast on a delicious meal.



No comments:

Post a Comment