a Ministry of Food and Family...

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Mom's Pepper Steak ~ Everybody's Mom Makes the Best


Just get online and you will see that just about everybody has a pepper steak recipe that was mom's.  In fact, even moms use their mom's recipe. Its just a simple hearty dish that families enjoy any day of the week or even weekend.

My mom's recipe uses beef stew meat but I know some mom's and or recipes prefer to use or call for flank steak cut into strips. You can use the best choice of steak or beef you want as long as it is cut into either chunks or strips. Since this is pepper steak, you can bet there will be plenty of green and red peppers. I happen to use only the green peppers as did my mom. Like me, she liked onion and thus, I am using one whole 'large' onion chopped.

To begin, on med. heat, saute in olive oil and a bit of coconut oil, one large chopped onion and one large green pepper and one small clove of garlic. When those have started to brown on the edges, add your beef and seasonings: a pinch of black pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt along with as much rosemary, mint and oregano as you like but really no more than a few dashes. Push aside the onion and green pepper letting the beef chunks brown on all sides. Then add 1/4 cup of beef stock, cover and simmer on med. heat for 15 min.


Next, add 1 small can of tomato paste, stir and cover again, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30-40 min.
While the pepper steak simmers, cook either rice or wide egg noodles. I prefer rice with this dish...as my mom's side was always rice. However, I have made noodles and my sweetie enjoyed that very much. When using noodles, I did make a less dense pepper steak version omitting the tomato paste and going with canned diced tomatoes. When using my mom's recipe, which is very dense, I use rice... it was her 'pepper steak'.


~ Tutti a Tavola!


No comments:

Post a Comment