a Ministry of Food and Family...

Monday, December 1, 2014

Spices are Expensive!

I read today in a food magazine that spices are not expensive. I thought, 'really'. For anyone on a gourmet cooking budget like I am, spices are expensive. 
I have always read that saffron, cardamon, vanilla and cinnamon were the most expensive.  And, they still are. "It is said that in ancient and medieval times saffron was worth its weight of gold. Even in today’s time saffron remains much expensive and easily earns the tag of world’s most expensive spice. A pound of fine quality saffron may cost up to US$5,000 in international market."
https://food-nutrition.knoji.com/worlds-most-expensive-spices/
Not only are those four spices mentioned above expensive but so are a lot of other spices that 'gourmet' recipes call for including black pepper, or turmeric.
"Turmeric is the last one in the list with a price tag of $3 per pound. Native to South Asia, this widely used spice is the rhizome or the root of plant. It has a deep yellow color and an earthy, bitter taste. It is mostly used as a flavoring and coloring agent in Indian, Thai and Persian dishes. Turmeric is also known for its medicinal properties and cosmetic uses. Black pepper was highly prized in ancient world before the discovery of chili pepper. It is the most traded and most used spice in the world. Known for its intense spiciness, this item is priced at $3 per pound in the market. It is the preciousness of pepper which led Vascodegama in his quest to find a sea route to India." 
https://food-nutrition.knoji.com/worlds-most-expensive-spices/


Take a look at my pantry list. What do you see? Basics, with these exceptions: cinnamon and ginger and coriander! And the most often used are my prized home grown / dried herbs - rosemary, mint and oregano. The others, I buy and use sparingly; especially the coriander.  Even for my homemade pumpkin pie, I used what I had and keep in my pantry. I am not one for going out and buying one kind of spice for just one recipe. I highly recommend those basics as they can be used for both cooking and baking.  If I find that a recipe must have a certain spice, then I buy only the smallest amount. The brainy gourmet is one who makes the most from basics and or who makes a little go as far as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment