a Ministry of Food and Family...

Friday, December 5, 2014

Salmon in Creamy Butter Sauce with Fettuccine Alfredo and 3 Cheese Filled Roasted Poblano

When is its Friday, I like to make something really special for my sweetie. 

Price per serving for two: $4.42

You need to buy: A package of wild caught salmon.  I bought a bag with six pieces at ALDI for $3.99.  I also bought a box of tomato pink Fettuccine noodle nests $.189 and one poblano green pepper .79 cents.
You will also need to buy a small package of chunk cheddar cheese. Today, I searched the discounted bin at my local grocer and found just what I was looking for - expiration date next Tuesday. Now, don't forget, we are talking cheese, aged cheese, a food product made from mold. It can only get better. If you ever have a piece of cheese at home that has a bit of mold on the outside, cut it off. You know penicillin came from such things. The nice chunk of white cheddar I bought at the discounted cost of $2.50 (.99 of this chunk will be counted in this dish). This same piece of cheese yesterday on the shelf would have cost $5.50. I won't need much and so this chunk of cheese will be used throughout the week. I also bought one small fresh lemon for .49 cents and one parsnip for .69 cents.

Take from the pantry list:
Coconut Oil
Olive Oil
Butter
Sea Salt
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Parmesan Cheese
Heavy Cream- fridge
Mozarella Cheese -fridge
Cheddar Cheese- fridge
Dried Herb Seasoning
Red Pepper Flakes

Take from your cupboard, one large skillet with cover and one large stock pot to boil water for the Fettuccine nests. Get the water going first, add a pinch of sea salt. In the skillet, melt 3 tbs of coconut oil and the same of olive oil. In this, I quickly cook my scalloped sliced parsnips. When tender, I set aside and redress the skillet in the same manner. Before you drop in the salmon, add all seasonings to taste, except cheeses as they are not seasoning nor is the heavy cream. Once the oils start to pop or spit, lay in the salmon and cover, the flame should be turned to med. Heat your oven to F400. Slice the poblano pepper in half and remove all seeds. Over a high flame, roast the pepper till darkened. Take a glass dish and drizzle in some olive oil. Place the poblano in the dish and grate your cheeses in, as much as you like.
Return to the fish which should be ready to turn over. The water is likely boiling by now so you can add the nests, as many as you need. If the oven is up to full heat, slide in the cheese ladled open faced pepper.
Back to the fish, you can now add 1 cup of heavy cream, 3 tbs of butter and cover again turning the flame to low.  Reach over and stir your noodles. Look in on the pepper as you prepare to set the table. Wash and slice your lemon, put half into a small bowl for the table. Drain the noodles when they are al dente and turn off the flame on the salmon-fish. Take the poblano cheese filled pepper from the oven (all bubbly and brown). After I drain the noodles, I grab a large white low lipped serving dish and drizzle in some olive oil. I pour the noodles in and place on top a few long scallops of butter, top with fresh grated Parmesan. I set the salmon onto a large serving platter and pour some of the lovely white sauce onto the fish and some onto the pasta. I place the poblano along side the salmon, squeeze a bit of lemon juice and serve. In a small dish, I put the sauteed parsnip. With this dish, I recommend a Sauvignon  Blanc.


No comments:

Post a Comment