a Ministry of Food and Family...

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Quick Draw Brainy Nachos Supreme

price per serving for two: $3.45

You will need to buy 1 pound of ground turkey. I bought a pound at my local grocer, paying $2.45. You will need to buy sour cream $1.89. A bag of your favorite Corn Chips. I bought restaurant style at ALDI for $1.69. If you don't have on hand, one onion and one green pepper. Today, I bought red paprika and chili powder both of which were not on the original pantry list, paying $2.89 for each. I just so happen to have grated cheese but if you don't have ...buy that too - a mix of Cheddar and Colby, I have paid no more than $3 dollars for a med sized bag. You also can buy your favorite salsa or make your own. It is easy. Just take either fresh tomatoes or canned diced tomatoes. Put into a blender, add green pepper, onion, and pineapple. I am not a fan of cilantro so, I use fresh Italian parsley. A pinch of salt and a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice. Blend til your have a slushy consistency. If don't have salsa and need to buy then I recommend the ALDI brand - simply nature  'organic' mild which usually is about $1.99
 As you know, when I cook, I base the cost per serving on ingredients that are a one time use as the others I use over and over which makes it difficult to calculate into each recipe. All in all, it is best to figure the cost of the one time use items and add on an estimate for the others based on use over a period of time. All the ingredients here, except the ground turkey (a one time use), will be used over and over again throughout the week or even months ahead (spices) and some will be used just another day or two, i.e. chips and salsa. As I see it, the additional usage gives the products an added value.

Take from the pantry list:
Coconut Oil
Olive Oil
Sea Salt
Red pepper flakes
Red Paprika
Chili powder

First, chop finely your onion and green pepper. In your covered skillet, melt 3 tbs of coconut oil and olive oil.
Add the onion and pepper. Cook until both onion and green pepper are transparent. Then add your ground turkey. Stir breaking up any chunks of ground turkey meat. Then cover and let simmer for 15 min. While the ground meat cooks, prepare to dress up your nachos. You can begin by melting a lot of cheese on top of your large plate of corn chips, either in the microwave or oven. I like to use the oven since that way the chips don't get mushy or chewy. Which, sometimes happens during microwave cooking/heating up. At least in mine which is a few years old.  Check your meat, add 1/2 tsp of sea salt, 1 tsp red pepper flakes and the same of red paprika and chili powder.  I had some onion powder I wanted to use up so that went in to, about 1tsp. Stir and cover turning off the heat.
Grab your chips in the large low lipped bowl with the melted cheese on top. Pour out over the top some of the meat mixture, enough to almost cover all the chips/cheese. Then put a huge dollop of sour cream on top, some additional grated cheese and a sprig of mint. That's it. I put the salsa on the table to use individually.

Ooh la la!

No comments:

Post a Comment