a Ministry of Food and Family...

Sunday, April 22, 2018

Italian Mostaccioli is like going home...

When I was a little girl, I always thought that a bowl of my grandma's risotto or gnocchi would make everything better. And, I was right. As an adult, I just can't seem to make gnocchi like grandma but pretty close. What still holds true is that Italian food makes everything better. So no matter what ails you, cook up some pasta and get better.

These past couple of days, both my sweetie and I have been under the weather. So, today, I made my famous Mostaccioli with Sweet Italian sausage. You will need to buy: a package of sweet Italian sausage (no fennel). A box of mostaccioli pasta (unless you brave it and make homemade) along with a can of crushed red tomatoes and one onion.

To begin, saute chopped onion in olive oil until browned on the edges, then add the sausage (removed from casing) formed into small buttons. Next, add the crushed tomatoes sauce and some dried herbs: mint, rosemary and oregano. Let this mixture simmer while you boil the pasta, don't forget to add a pinch of salt to the water.

Once the pasta is tender, drain and rinse with cool water. Pour out onto a serving plate and top with the hot bubbling sauce. Put out the wine and grated Parmesan....




~ Tutti a Tavola

No comments:

Post a Comment