a Ministry of Food and Family...

Monday, November 9, 2015

Making it Simple ~ Tomato Soup and a Grilled Cheese

Well, you might think that the Brainy Guy is cooking tonight since he knows all there is to know about homemade tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich. I can say I taught him everything he knows about tomato soup but he taught me everything about grilled cheese.

Being frugal is the main aspect of being the brainy gourmet. Having said that, you might expect I will be starting my tomato soup on a soup stock from either chicken, turkey, beef or pork. Yes, even pork can make a good stock. I like to use the pork butt cut. It has tender meat and tasty fat but is really quite lean. If you have your stock, then just add one small tube or can of tomato paste. Stir and toss in some fresh dried herbs, cover, simmer on med heat for 20 min. As it bubbles away, prepare rice or any pasta that you prefer.




As for the grilled cheese, sourdough bread is my favorite to use. I make em the Brainy Guy way or like his grandma used to make. This is a sandwich so... butter both sides of the bread. Put one slice in the skillet, butter side down. On top of that slice of bread, lay on two slices of Sharp or Medium Cheddar cheese. Cover the cheese with another slice, butter side up. Cover and let them sizzle.

Make a stack of sandwiches, put the soup on the table and call everybody round.

~ Tutti a Tavola!

No comments:

Post a Comment