a Ministry of Food and Family...

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Fruits Abound in Summer Sun! Nettare di Albicocca ~ Marmellata di Albicocche

Guest Blogger ~ My Mom


I really enjoy this time of year. Why? Because, I see the fruits of my efforts come to fruition.
No, I am not fruity but I love fresh fruit. Italians love to pick from the garden or orchard and go straight into the kitchen. So, I want to share with you my adventure making apricot nectar and marmalade. I have my own trees and this year it was a robust harvest. With the grand kids over, we were able to get quite a bit. Here are the recipes I followed.



Nectar ~ Nettare di Albicocca
  • 1 quart apricots 
  • 1/2 cup sugar 
  • 1 quart water
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
Wash and pit fresh fruit. Boil fruit and water 5 minutes. Strain. Add sugar and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Makes 1 1/2 quarts.I canned my apricot nectar in a hot water bath. In caner, bring water to boil, enough to cover jars by 1-inch of water. Put jars with hot nectar in caner and bring back to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes and remove.

Butter ~ Marmellata di Albicocche

  • 24 Medium Apricots
  • 3 Cups Sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice or Orange Juice
  • ½ to 1 teaspoon each ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon (optional)
Wash and remove stems from apricots, cut in halves and remove pits. Cook apricots with skin on until soft, adding just enough water to prevent apricots from sticking (about ½ cup). Push through a sieve or food mill or place in blender. This should produce about 1-1/2 quarts apricot pulp. To prepare butter, combine apricot pulp with sugar. Cook until desired consistency, stirring frequently to keep fruit from sticking. Add lemon or orange juice and flavorings if desired. Butter can then be stored following proper canning process Follow the above process used for the nectar. Listen for the lids to pop. Then you know you have a seal.


*pictured here is my first batch, which tastes as good as it looks!

No comments:

Post a Comment