Brainy Gourmet

Brainy Gourmet
The Doctor is into Delicious!

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Roasted Chicken Challenge - 25 turned 50 min.

Price per serving for two: $3.00 

You will need to buy one whole chicken. I bought a nice plump one for 5.11 which is the highest I have paid. If you don't have lemon, then you will need to buy one as well as garlic and thyme, package of fresh but sprigs is about $1.89.

Take from your pantry list:
Olive Oil
Sea Salt
Butter
Garlic
Onion
Paprkia
Red Pepper Flakes

The idea was to challenge a recent youtube cooking video which showed how to roast chicken in just 45 min. How? The fastest and easiest way to roast chicken either in the oven or on the grill is to spatchcock the chicken which simply means to take out the backbone flip over the chicken and press down on the breast to flatten out the chicken. Since, I like being brainy, I wanted to get the most from my chicken; not only this evenings meal but a basic chicken stock out of it as well. I decided to boil it for 15 mins and then roast it on F400 for 25 min; hence, roasted chicken in 25 min.  Now, I did suppose that my 1963 gas wall over would be less than efficient as it is but nevertheless, I like a challenge.

To get started, I took a med cast iron stock pot and filled it with hot water for the chicken, putting in one whole onion saving a few sections for the skillet which I would roast the chicken in.  I added a pinch of salt as well. I then spatchcocked the chicken so that it will lay more flat and cook faster. Remember, being brainy means making the most of what you have. Not only do I want roast chicken out this but also stock for the week. So, I took the spatchcocked chicken and put it into the boiling water for 15 min.


After the 15 min. were up, I took out the chicken from the stock and put the back of the chicken (removed earlier) into the stock to cook longer for a richer stock that will last all week. The chicken then went into my prepared black cast iron skillet. First, I covered the bottom of the skillet with 4 tbs of olive oil, then I added sliced lemon , the onion sections I saved 'held back' from the stock, a half clove of peeled and sliced garlic. I laid the chicken down and rubbed in 2tbs of butter, 1 tbs of sea salt, 1 tsp of paprika, 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes or more if you like it spicy. Then I placed in about 6 sprigs of fresh thyme and put the skillet in the oven for 25 min on F400. 
Well, I said the old Caloric did what she could but after 25 min. the temperature of the chicken was only 160. I needed to get at least 185. So, back in she went for another 15 min. I checked the temp again and only had hit 180. So I closed the door for another 5 min and that did the trick. I had also put in a few stuffing meatballs. I had left over breakfast sausage and bread croutons from Thanksgiving, so a quick mix together along with some dried herb seasonings and I had a perfect side, which in fact produced a really rich gravy.
Though I was not able to roast my chicken in 45 min. It turned out delicious and I was still brainy about it, got stock for a week!
* next time, I will use a cookie sheet and not the cast iron skillet. I think that the heavy skillet in my Caloric took too long to heat up and get the chicken cooking. It was cooked through and delicious! Just not in 45 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment